How did you get started with bodybuilding?
In my years of training I have learned so much from so many people, and have become intrigued with how great it feels to see one’s body and mind transform by choosing a healthier lifestyle. I first discovered my passion for competing in fitness after doing my first show with the WBFF in September 2009. When I decided to do the show I was absolutely clueless to the competing world. I enrolled in the biggest show possible, completely unaware that most amateur athletes do an amateur show first. Considering it was my first show, I thought I did very well, and by the end of it all I was already planning for the next show. I had so many goals to achieve in the ten months that followed, and the only way to do that was to stay focused and always keep a positive frame of mind. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but I am always up for a good challenge. Next up was the July 3rd WBFF Alberta show. I placed 6th in bikini model and 7th in fitness model. I walked away with two medals, and it was the greatest feeling in the world. I am only in the beginning of my competing career, and after every show I have done up to this date, I am mentally and physically preparing for the next one.
I always set goals myself. It could be a show day that I have to get ready for, a photo shoot, or a vacation. I like to have a date that I can look forward to.
Where does your motivation come from?
I get motivated by a number of things; right now my biggest motivation comes from my training partner.
I feel very focused having someone there to push me to my limits!
What is your training routine like?
Since I am trying to gain as much muscle as possible my time in the gym is spent lifting heavy. I am always changing up my program, but here is what it looks like to date:
- Pull Downs – 6 sets of 6 (warm up)
- Pushups – 6 Sets of 15 (warm up)
- Lat Pull Downs – Drop Set – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Straight Arm Pull Downs – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Incline Chest Press – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Bent Arm Dumbbell Pullover – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Cable Chest Press – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Bent Over Barbell Row – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Row – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- 30 Minutes Stair Master
- Walking lunges (warm up)
- Squats – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Leg Extensions Burn Outs – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Pelvic Hip Thrusts – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Kick Backs – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Deadlifts -4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Clean and Press -4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Side Laterals Drop Set – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Lying Rear Delt Row – 4 sets x 8-12 reps
- Bent Over Low Pully Side Lateral – 4 sets x 8-12 reps
- Cable Rope Rear Delt Rows – 4 sets x 8-12 reps
- Arnold Press – 4 Sets x 8-12 reps
- 30 Mins of Stair Master & Abs
Saturday: Upper Body Pump/Cardio
- Total Upper Body Pump Circuit
- 30 Mins of Stair Master
Sunday: Off Day
What is your Diet Like?
Very clean as I have only one cheat meal a week and I totally believe you are what you eat. I like to eat mostly organic fruits, vegetables, and meats.
- Meal 1: (Pre Workout) Protein Shake with ½ Scoop of Waxy Maize, Colostrum, Organic Greens, BCAA`s, and Glutamine
- Meal 2: (Post Workout) Shake with ½ Scoop Waxy Maize, BCAA`s, and Glutamine
- Meal 3: ½ Cup Oatmeal, 1 Tbsp of Flax Seed, 1 Cup of Eggwhites and Spinach
- Meal 4: 1 Chicken Breast, 50 g Quonia, 2 Cups of Cabbage, 25 Almonds
- Meal 5: 1 Fillet of Tilapia, 2 Cups of Green Veggies, 1 Package of Shirtake Noodles
- Meal 6: Chicken, Turkey, or Fish, with 2 cups of Green Veggies, 1 Tsp of Olive Oil
What are your favourite cheat meals and foods?
Although I do like the odd burger and fries meal or bowl of ice cream, I really enjoy clean cheats as well. I love to make protein pancakes on my cheat day with cinnamon, bananas, and sugar free maple syrup. I also enjoy experimenting with clean baking recipes.
My next recipe to try is a Quark Cheese Cake, which believe it or not is actually good for you.
What has been your biggest accomplishment in the fitness field?
My biggest accomplishment as of today is receiving my WBFF Fitness Model Pro Card, and then one year later placing 7th in the Pro Fitness Model category against 30 of the most beautiful women on earth.
I had to overcome a lot of obstacles, and placing 7th was extremely rewarding.
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I stay pretty lean in the off season, so when it comes time to cut down for a show, I am usually only 10 pounds off.
I just up my cardio up from 45 minutes to 60.
What is your supplementation like?
Current supplements include a multivitamin, and most recently colostrum. For workout related supplements I use Magnum Nutraceuticals products. Magnum has an excellent line of supplements to meet all my training needs. Prior to my workouts I use a product called DNA. I noticed increased strength and endurance right away! My muscles also feel harder and are definitely more defined. Along with the DNA, I also use Magnum Serum. This product gives me a great rush for my workout.
It contains arginine and creatine and promotes strength without any bloating or water weight and after I train I enjoy a delicious shake by Magnum called Quattro.
“Healthy Body, Healthy Mind”
Photo Credits: VASKO Photography, LHGFX Photography and George Kontaxis Photography