How did you get started with bodybuilding?
After high school, I got a desk job and was starting to pack on weight. I did go to the gym but only when I felt like it and I was finding it hard to stay motivated. I was online one day and saw some pics of a figure competition and decided I wanted to do it! So I called a local supplement store and asked the owner to train me. After I did one show I was hooked and signed up for another and I’ve never looked back, that was in 2007!
It’s been a complete lifestyle change for me and I love it!
Where does your motivation come from?
For me there are a few things, a lot of my motivation comes from within, seeing the changes and improvements in the mirror is really motivating for me and pushes me to do more!
But we all have bad days and when those hit I look to all of my Facebook and twitter friends for some motivation as they send me great quotes and pics and it gets me fired up!
What workout routine has worked best for you?
My routine changes weekly! I do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps on all exercises. I start with a 10 minute warm up and usually I’ll do supersets. I work 1-2 muscle groups a day, working shoulders and glutes twice a week. I do my cardio in the morning, then weight training at night.
If I’m in contest prep I may add in another cardio session in the evening if I need it. I take one rest day a week which is usually Wednesday or Sunday!
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Shoulder Press – I love them and they help to create the V taper
- Hamstring Curls – Because I got to have a great bootie!
- Hanging Leg Raises – Best exercise to tighten up the lower abs!
What is your diet like?
Generally, low carb high protein and moderate fats. My Off-season diet plan, right now looks like this:
- Meal 1: Peanut Butter Whey Gourmet and Oatmeal (mixed together and topped with a few Banana Slices)
- Meal 2: Apple and Almonds
- Meal 3: Salmon or a Chicken Salad
- Meal 4: Whey Gourmet Protein Bar
- Meal 5: Turkey Muffins (Ground Turkey Breast & Veggies)
- Meal 6: Tilapia stir-fry! (Tilapia, Zucchini, Green Beans, Broccoli, Asparagus) if this is my post workout I’ll have some Rice or Yams.
- Meal 7: Protein Brownie* (only if I’m hungry or having a bad craving)
*Brownie Recipe: 1 scoop Peanut Butter Whey Gourmet, 1 scoop Fitlicious, 1 packet Splenda and add a little water and microwave for 30-40 seconds.
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I do both, mostly just regular cardio but I like to do HIIT 1-2 times a week for a good butt kicking!
Kills the boring cardio and spices things up a bit!
“Follow your heart, Follow your passion”
Final Advice For Readers?
Surround yourself with positive, like-minded people and success will follow.