Height: 5’10” – 178 cm
Weight: 180 lbs – 82 kg
How did you get started with bodybuilding?
When I was 14, I fell off my mountain bike and fractured my shoulder. I was told I needed to strengthen my shoulder and arm after it healed, so I got some old weights and a bench and set it up in my garage. At that time, I really didn’t know what I was doing, so I bought my first copy of Men’s Health magazine and some other fitness magazines.
After seeing the physiques of the guys on the covers, I knew I wanted to build a huge physique and from that moment on, I became fascinated with lifting weights.
Where does your motivation come from?
I’ve always had an inner drive. I love being able to change my physique; it’s like wearing a badge of honor; people can see how dedicated I am.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
I’ve always been a fan of the basic movements, straight sets and going heavy. That’s originally how I built my physique. My mentality has always been if it was good enough for the pioneers of bodybuilding, Arnold, Larry Scott and Sergio, then it was good enough for me.
- Chin Ups 3 x 10
- Barbell Rows 4 x 10-12
- One-Arm Dumbbell Rows 3 x 8-12
- Seated Row 4 x 8-12
- Seated Lat Pulldowns 4 x 12-15
- Barbell Squats 4 x 8-12
- Leg Press 4 x 8-12
- Hack Squats 3 x 8-10
- Walking Barbell Lunges 4 x 15-20 Steps
- Leg Extensions: 4 x 12-20
- Calf Raise 4 x 15
- Single Leg Raise 4 x 15
- Close Grip Pull Ups 3 x 10
- Seated Dumbbell Curls 4 x 8-12
- Preacher Curl 3 x 10-12
- Single Arm Concentration Curls 3 x 10-12
- Cable Curl 4 x12-20
- Reverse EZ-Bar Curl 3 x 15
- Standing Barbell Wrist Curl 3 x 15
- Reverse Dumbbell Wrist Curl 3 x 15
- Seated Barbell Front Press 4 x 8-15
- Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press 3 x 10-12
- Bent-Over Rear Delt Fly’s 3 x 10-12
- Machine Rear Delt Fly’s 2 x 15
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 x 10-12
- Single-Arm Cable Lateral Raise 2 x 15
- Leg Press Calf Raise 4 x 15
- Seated Leg Press 4 x 15
- Incline Barbell Press 4 x 8-15
- Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 12-10
- Flat Bench Press 3 x 12-10
- Flat Dumbbell Fly’s 3 x 10-12
- Cable Fly’s 3 x 15
- Barbell Wrist Curls 3 x 15
- Reverse Dumbbell Wrist Curl 3 x 15
Saturday: Hamstrings/Lower Back
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 4 x 8-15
- Lying Leg Curl 3 x 10-12
- Vertical Leg Press 3 x 10-12
- Seated Leg Curl 3 x 10-12
- Good Mornings 3 x 12-15
- Weighted Hyper Extension 3 x 12
- Reverse Hyper Extension 3 x 12-15
- Lying Tricep Extensions 4 x 8-15
- Cable Pressdown 3 x 10-12
- Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3 x 10-12
- Cable Kickbacks 3 x 15
- Barbell Shrugs 4 x 8-15
- Smith Shrugs 3 x 10-12
- Lying Front Bar Raise 3 x 10-12
If you had to pick only 3 exercises what would they be and why?
- Preacher Curls: I feel I really get a full range of motion and a good stretch in the biceps with this exercise.
- Chin Ups: Are a staple in my back routine. I perform them as a warm up and prefer them over the seated lat pulldown.
- Leg Press: The leg press allows me to load a lot of weight without placing stress on my lower back. I warm up on squats and go reasonably heavy, but it’s on the leg press where I truly reach failure on leg day!
What is your diet like?
My diet currently consists of about 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats. I typically consume a little under 3,000 calories a day. I never plan on a cheat or a refeed, but sometimes I’ll have one if I go out with friends. My only rule of thumb is not to ‘overeat.’ And honestly, I’d rather have sushi or curried chicken and rice over a burger any day!
- Meal 1: 7 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg, 2 tablespoons Cottage Cheese, 2 ½ ounces Brown Rice, Portabella Mushrooms and 2 tablespoons Salsa
- Meal 2: 7 ounces Chicken Breast, 5 ounces Yam or Sweet Potato, 1 cup Broccoli, 1 cup Spinach and 1 teaspoon Flaxseed Oil
- Meal 3: 3 ½ ounces Salmon, 6 Egg Whites, 2 ounces Brown Rice, 1 cup Kale and 1 cup Green Beans
- Meal 4: 6 ½ ounces Ground Turkey, 2 ounces Brown Rice, ¼ Avocado, 1 cup Green Beans and 1 cup Broccoli
- Meal 5: 1 scoop Whey Protein and 2 ½ ounces Dates
- Meal 6: 2 ½ ounces Ground Turkey, 1 ½ ounces White Rice, 1 teaspoon Flaxseed Oil, 1 cup Green Beans and 1 cup Asparagus
- Meal 7: 5 ounces Cottage Cheese, 1 scoop Casein, ½ ounce Almond Butter and Stevia Extract mixed in blender
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I prefer steady state cardio (LISS). Typically, I do 40 minutes on the elliptical or a high incline on the treadmill. HIIT not only drains me, but also makes me hungrier.
I also like to go for a run in Santa Monica, or take my dog Lola hiking in the hills.
What is your supplementation like?
- Fat Burner
- Acetyl L-Carnitine
- Whey, Egg or Beef Protein
“It’s not about counting every rep; it’s about making every rep count!”