How did you get started with bodybuilding?
I got serious with bodybuilding and weight training after watching my twin sister, Alli, prepare for her first figure competition about nine years ago.
The spark was lit inside of me and whenever that happens, there is very little that can get in my way of accomplishing what I set out to do!
Where does your motivation come from?
This is a great question that I get asked quite frequently. My motivation comes first and foremost from within — I believe that is the only way to maintain a drive over the long-run. What adds to my motivation is my desire to inspire and help others.
The fitness modeling is wonderful and I enjoy it tremendously, but my main goal is to in some way help others to say hey, if she can do it, SO CAN I!!
What workout routine has worked best for you?
Lifting — as HEAVY as possible! I know that many girls fear lifting heavy weights because they fear that it will cause them to become too bulky, but that is more fiction than it is fact. I lift as heavy as I possibly can to be fatigued by the end of my desired rep range for that particular workout. If I’m not making a ridiculous face by the end of the set, it’s not heavy enough! Ha!
Day 1 – Shoulders/Upper Abs
- Seated Overhead D.B Press 15/12/10/8
- Side D.B. Lateral Raise 12/10/8/6
- Lying Rear Delt D.B. Raise 12/10/8
- Front Plate Raise 12/10/8/8
- Leaning Single-Arm Lat Raise 12/10/8/8
- Cable Rear Delt (CCM) 12/11/10
- Plate-Loaded Overhead Press 10/10/10
- Seated Ab Machine 15/15/12/12
- Rope Cable Crunch 15/15/12/12/12 45 Sec
- Seated Ab Machine #2 15/15/15
Day 2 – Legs
- Seated Leg Extension 20/20/15/15
- Stationary D.B. Lunge 12/10/8/8
- Smith-Machine Squat 12/10/8/8
- Horizontal Leg Press 12/10/8/8
- Seated Leg Extension 15/15/12/12
- Smith-Machine Calf Raise 20/20/15/15
- Seated Calf Raise Machine 15/12/10
Day 3 – Arms
- Straight-Bar Pushdown 15/12/10/8
- Standing Barbell Curl 12/10/8/6
- D.B. Skullcrushers 12/10/8/6
- Alternating D.B. Curl 12/10/8/6
- Close-Grip Bench Press 12/10/8/6
- Lying Cable Curl 12/10/8/6
- Rope Pushdown 12/10/8/6
- Incline Seated Cable Curl 12/10/8/6
- Straight Bar Cable Curl 12/10/8
- Bench Dip Drop/Extended Set 8/12/15/FAILURE No Rest
- Standing Barbell “King Set” 25
Day 4 – Back/Lower Abs, Obliques
- Lat Pulldown Machine 15/12/10/8
- Reverse-Grip Lat Pulldown 12/10/8/6
- Bent-Over D.B. Row 12/10/8/8
- Seated Cable Row 12/10/8/8
- Plate-Loaded Seated Row 12/10/8/8
- HyperExtensions (Weighted) 12/12/12
- AbRoller Machine 20/20/20
- Hip Thrust (“Toes-to-Ceiling”) 15/15/15
- Seated Knee-Up Crunches 20/20/20
- Standing Oblique Cable Crunch 12/12/12
Day 5 – Legs
- Seated Leg Curl 15/12/12/10
- Lying Leg Curl 12/10/8/8
- Super-Wide Barbell Squats 10/10/10
- Single-Leg Seated Leg Curl 12/10/8
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 12/10/8/6
- Single-Leg Lying Leg Curl 8/8/8/8
- Seated Abductor Machine 15/12/10
- Smith Machine Glute Squats 12/12/12
Day 6 – Cardio
- Super-Wide Barbell Squats 2×15
- Single-Leg Seated Leg Curl 2×15
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 2×15
- Single-Leg Lying Leg Curl 2×15
- Seated Abductor Machine 2×15
- Smith Machine Glute Squats 2×15
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Squats – Never thought I’d hear myself… emm… see myself write that! I definitely have a love/dislike (The “H” word is not in my vocabulary!) relationship with squats! While Legs certainly are the main target, I think that this is the best overall full-body exercise.
- Pull Ups – Able to target the back, also hitting biceps as a secondary target.
- Shoulder Press – Shoulders are my favorite body part to train, so I have to get them in!
What is your diet like?
Mainly donuts and bagels for breakfast, burgers and fries for lunch, pizza for dinner and ice cream and cookies for dessert… Oh… my ACTUAL and not my “IN MY DREAMS” diet?! Okay, well than that changes things slightly as being a fitness model takes a lot of dedication. Contrary to what many believe, I can’t “eat whatever I want” because I am lean most of the time… and this is because I am very structured and maintain a clean diet MOST of the time. When I am not preparing for a shoot, I allow myself a cheat meal at least once a week to keep my body guessing and to keep my sanity… well, most of it, anyway.
- Meal 1: (Pre-Workout) Protein Shake
- Meal 2: (Post-Workout) Instant Oatmeal with Protein Powder or Egg Whites mixed in with Splenda
- Meal 3: Cottage Cheese, Almonds
- Meal 4: Spinach Salad with Flank Steak or Salmon
- Meal 5: Grilled Chicken, Broccoli/String Beans
- Meal 6: Grilled Chicken, Broccoli/String Beans Dessert, “Pro-Pudding”
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I stay pretty lean year-round, so I don’t ever have to cut down too much, but I would prefer HIIT because it is much less boring to me than normal cardio and more intense!
What is your supplementation like?
- Pre-Workout (ISS MPR “PUMP”)
- During Workout (Scivation “Xtend”)
- Glutamine (Pre-Postworkout & Before Bed)
- Fish Oil
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Calcium/Vitamin D
This is also such a tough question for me because there are so many bodybuilders and fitness models that are inspirations! My twin sister, Alli, is my hands-down favorite, but also Jay Cutler, Mike O’Hearn, and Whitney Reid to name a few.
There are also many female fitness models that inspire me, including: Alicia Marie, Jamie Eason, Ava Cowan and the list could truly go on and on.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE fan of inspirational and motivational quotes, so narrowing down to just one is like telling me to choose just ONE piece of candy from a candy store….. JUST ONE?!?!? Okay, well one that I hold very close to my heart is:
Overcome Doubts: for “Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by, Fearing To Attempt: “Do not fear to take the leaps of faith – Faith is the ability to see the invisible and believe in the incredible and that is what enables believers to receive what the masses think is impossible.” – Clarence Smithison