How did you get started with bodybuilding?
When I was seven years old, my uncle had the whole eighties bodybuilder thing going on and that made a huge impression on me in a positive way. From then on I wanted to be nice, handsome and religious with big muscles and a toned physique.
That was the first time I remember thinking about my “someday”.
Where does your motivation come from?
It started from a very powerful negative and frustration with my reality. Now I have managed to switch to positive thoughts and focus more on my goals and how to achieve them. I want so much to make my parents proud, to show them I am grateful they picked me.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
I started off needing to lose weight, so I followed The Arnold Split = Full Body two times per week and then the pre-contest training regime for building more mass and burning fat. Although now that I have reached a higher level I use a split much like an MMA fighter would use if he had to diet. I want to look the part of a semi bodybuilder but also be very athletic. I say it that way because I once was in a wrestling match and found myself winded after 60 seconds of grappling with a friend who did not really work out. Ever since that I have changed my routines all up to a mix between MMA Training and the Weider Principles.
- Flat bar or Dumbbell chest press 4 sets of 10-15 (Superset)
- Push-ups on knees or reg 4 sets of 10-15
- Incline bar or dumbbell press 4 sets of 10-15 (Superset)
- Cable fly’s 4 sets of 10-15
- Machine dips or free dips 4 sets of 10-15 (Superset)
- Machine or dumbbell fly’s 4 sets of 10-15
- Triceps cable push down v bar 4 sets of 20-30 (Superset)
- Triceps cable push down flat bar 4 sets of 20-30
- Reverse grip cable push down flat bar 4 sets of 10-12 (Superset)
- Bench dips feet on ground 4 sets of 10-30
- Warm up and stretch abdominals – calves – lower back
- Good mornings 3 sets of 20-15-10
- Superset abs with calves
- Roman chairs 5 sets of 25-35
- Calf raises 5 sets of 25-35
- Dead lifts (light weight) 4 sets of 15-20
- Chin ups (machine if needed) 4 sets of 5-15 (Superset)
- Machine rows 4 sets of 15-20 (Superset)
- Bent over rows wide grip bar 4 sets of 15-20 (Superset)
- Lat machine pull downs 4 sets of 15-20
- Single arm machine rows 4 sets of 2 minute each arm Stripping method
- Warm up-stretching 20 min on machine for cardio – treadmill
- Leg extensions 4 sets of 15-20 (Superset)
- Leg curls 4 sets of 15-20
- Hack squats 4 sets of 15-20 (Superset)
- Leg curls 4 sets of 15-20
- Straight-leg dead lifts 4 sets of 10-15
- Good mornings 4 sets of 10-12 Light weight
- Calve machine 3 sets of 20-30
- Calve raises standing 4 sets of 40
- Warm up – Stretching 20 min calve presses and raises
- Behind the neck barbell press 3 sets of 10-12 (Superset)
- Lateral dumbbell raises 3 sets of 10-15
- Front machine press 4 sets of 10-12 (Superset)
- Bent over dumbbell raises 4 sets of 10-20
- Seated reverse machine fly’s 3 sets of 15-20
- Dumbbell shrugs side 3 sets of 15
- Standing barbell flat bar curls 4 sets of 6-12 heavy
- Machine for biceps 2 sets of 15-20
- Preacher easy bar curl 2 sets of 10-12
- Concentration dumbbell curl 3 sets of 10
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
I would choose Dips, dead lifts, hanging leg raises. These three are money makers; if you got extremely good at anyone of these exercises the body parts doing the work will greatly benefit.
What is your diet like?
I am going Gluten free with no Lactose either. I like the low carb diet basically with sugars before and after the workout. I stick with red meats, chicken, fish, turkey and eggs. I get my complex carbs from oats, yams, brown rice.
- Meal 1: Oatmeal 3/4 cup cooked with protein shake 1 scoop of whey and 1 scoop of meal replacement
- Meal 2: Veggie omelet 8-10 egg whites 1 yolk/ Strawberries/ 1-3 cup of oatmeal
- Meal 3: Turkey burger (99% fat free) palm portion, Frozen strawberries 1/2 cup, Non-fat Yogurt ¼-1/2 cup strawberry flavored (activa), Broccoli 1 half cup
- Meal 4: Steak barbecue palm portion seasoned no sodium, Asparagus 8 spears, 1/2 med Yam, Strawberries 1 quarter
- Meal 5: Tilapia palm portion, Baby spinach 1 half cup and spray dressing, Asparagus 8 spears, ½ cup long grain brown rice, Non-fat cottage cheese ¼ cup
- Meal 6: Chicken (Ms. Dash marinade) palm portion, 1/3-1/2 cup of long grain brown rice, 5 strawberries, Broccoli 1 half cup cooked, (Optional) Salad or romaine lettuce wraps
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I do both, I am a fan of the 1 hour session in your fat burning zone but you can’t discount HIIT and results from following it. So just to be sure I do both.
What is your supplementation like?
I really do take a lot of supplements, including pro-biotics, digestive enzymes and fish oil. I take them all because each one has a different job and I need a lot of work. Plus I cannot give advice on something I have not tried or know why I did not try it.
Basically I take a Multi, fish oil, digestive enzyme, creatine, beta alanine, hmb, pro-biotic, v-c, anti-oxidants, fat burner, liver aid, gabba, melatonin, amino’s, glutamine and magnesium.
I have many but Arnold and Frank are my favorites.
“Be proud of how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go”