How did you get started with bodybuilding?
I started lifting weights when I was 19 and at the time I was tall and very skinny, 5’8″ and 115lbs. I had just gotten out of a very unhealthy relationship and was tired of being pushed around (literally). So I started lifting to put on more size as I wanted to feel like I could hold my own if I needed to. As I grew stronger physically, my mental and emotional strength followed.
I loved the way I felt when working out and I loved seeing the changes my body was making. I was hooked and have never looked back! :)
What gets you motivated?
I love working out – it’s not only a hobby, it’s my passion. However, if I had to pick one thing that motivates me, it would be my nephew, Cameron Roy Martin. Cameron passed away August 2010 after a 15 month battle against an inoperable brain tumor (pontine glioma). He was just two months away from his 6th birthday. His fighting spirit and positive attitude are constantly on my mind and he makes me want to be the best version of ME I can be. I want to fight, I want to be healthy, and I want to LIVE for him.
Everytime I find myself struggling or wanting to quit and throw in the towel (whether in the gym or in the real world), I think of him and I keep pushing forward!
Cameron is truly my inspiration and his spirit motivates me not only in the gym but in every aspect of my life.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
The key to my workouts is “variety” and I “never” do the same workout twice. I am very random and I makeup what I do as I go along. Once I feel the pump/burn, I just continue and add to the workout. I do a lot of drop sets, supersets, etc and I never go into the gym with a plan. The information below is a sample of my routine:
Monday: Heavy Legs
- 4x Heavy squats (supersets)
- 4x Heavy stiff leg deadlifts (supersets)
- 4x Leg extension
- 4x Leg curl
- 4x Heavy weighted walking lunges
- 4x Wide lat pull downs
- 4x Seated rows
- 4x Cable pull thrus
- 4x Squat thrust dead lifts
- 4x Single arm dumbbell row
- 4x Dumbell press
- 4x Full range laterals (supersets)
- 4x Heavy quarter laterals (supersets)
- 4x Heavy upright rows (supersets)
- 4x Walkouts (supersets)
- 4x Incline supinated curls
- 4x Straight barbell curls
- 4x Close grip “pump” dumbbell curls
- 4x Dips
- 4x Push downs
- 4x Dumbbell kick backs
- Donkey kicks
- Step ups
- Jump squats
- Jump lunges
- Box jumps
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
I’m all about the booty – I’m naturally tall and lean so I bust my ass (literally) to build the junk in my trunk. My glutes/legs are my best attribute and I work the hardest on them.
- Squats – Heavy deep squats help pack on the size.
- Lunges – Walking lunges help LIFT my butt and get it round
- Stiff-leg deadlifts – Make the glute/hamstring tie-in and help shape the whole backside
What is your diet like?
- Meal 1: Egg whites, oatmeal
- Meal 2: Chicken, green beans
- Meal 3: Chicken and almonds
- Meal 4: Greek yogurt and protein powder
- Meal 5: Chicken or flank steak, sweet potato
- Meal 6: Tilapia with mixed veggies
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I always use HIIT. Normal cardio is soooooo boring and doesn’t get me lean.
What is your supplementation like?
- Multi vitamins
- Vitamin E
- Fat burners
- Whey protein
Anything from the movie Anchorman. All-time fav has to be “I love lamp” :)