Height: 173 cm
Weight: Contest 87 kg – 191 lb
Off-season 96 kg – 211 lb
Justin Firgaira – Built For War
How did you get started with bodybuilding?
I originally started training in the gym to improve my overall strength, and paddling endurance for my surfing. Over time I noticed that I was lucky enough to build muscle quite easily. After a couple of years training there were a few guys in the gym that gave me a little nudge and persuaded me to get on stage.
I decided to give it a shot and loved the whole experience and that’s how it all began.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
I have found that my body responds better to a volume style training approach and I do like to incorporate a lot of supersets, giant sets and drop sets within my workouts. I do every now and then throw in lower rep range exercises to change the work style up; however I usually work around the 10-15 rep range. Most work outs will incorporate a foundation group of exercises which I will try to progressively over load from week to week e.g. BB Squat Leg days, or Incline BB Chest days. The rest of the workout I will use a more intuitive approach and change from week to week to keep my training interesting.
- Deadlifts 1 x 30, 20, 10, 10, 10
- Wide Grip Chins 4 x 10-15
- T-Bar Row 3 x 8-12 followed by 1 x 8, 8, 8 drop set
- Close Lat Pull Down 3 x 10 (Superset)
- Wide Lat Pull Down 3 x 10
- One Arm DB Row 3 x 10-15
- Incline BB Press 4 x 8-12
- Flat DB Press 3 x 8-12 followed by 1x 8, 8, 8 drop set
- Incline DB Fly 3 x 10-15 (Superset)
- Push Ups 3x max
- Incline Strength Press 3 x 8-12 (Superset)
- Pec Dec 3 x 10-15
- DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8-12
- DB Lateral Raises 3 x Pyramid up and back
- Upright Row 3 x 10-15 (Superset)
- Rear delt fly 3 x 10-15
- Front Raises 3 x 10-15
- DB or BB Shrugs 4 x 10-20
- Leg Extensions 3 x 20
- BB Squat 4 x 10-15 followed by 1 x 20-30
- Seated Leg Press 3 x 15-20 (Superset)
- Lying Leg Curl 3 x 8-12
- Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 x 10-15
- Walking Lunges 3 x 20+
- Calf Raises 3 x 12
- BB Curl 3 x 20, 15, 10 (Superset)
- Tricep Push Downs 3 x 20, 15, 10
- Alternating DB Curl 4 x 8-12 (Superset)
- Parallel Dips 4 x 8-12
- Preacher Curls 4 x 10-15 (Superset)
- Overhead Triceps Ext 4 x 10-15
If you had to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- BB Squats: The number one exercise and key to any good lower body work routine.
- Incline BB Press: I prefer incline pressing to hit the upper pecs more during this compound pressing movement.
- Chins: Probably one of the best back builders. Very hard to choose between this and a T-Bar Rows as both are great back builders.
What is your diet like?
I try to keep it pretty simple and consistent weekly. This makes it easier to make adjustments in my diet to achieve my required goal.
- Meal 1: Oats & Egg Whites
- Meal 2: Chicken & Vegetables
- Meal 3: Post Workout Shake (50 gm. Protein 50 gm. Carbs)
- Meal 4: Chicken or Kangaroo Meat, Rice & Vegetables
- Meal 5: Chicken or Kangaroo Meat, Sweet Potato & Vegetables
- Meal 6: Beef/Salmon & Salad with Almonds
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I prefer just normal (it’s so much easier) but incorporate HIIT in my contest prep.
What is your supplementation like?
- Multi Vitamins
- Fish Oils
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.” – Aristotle
- A Film by Miguel Valenzuela
- A production of APTECH
- In partnership with Musclemania.com
- Featuring Justin Firgaira
- Special thanks to Die Sektor for the exclusive instrumental version of “Deathkill” & Eddy Ung for assisting with the filming of this episode
- Ending track “Built for War” by Nitronoise